Sunday, March 10, 2013

Feeling Green

They're back! Well, they have been for a little over a month but still, it's Shamrock Shake season and it won't last for long.


My typical mindset was in place and I thought, "Hey, I can turn that into a cupcake." So, I did.

I was nervous to attempt to imitate the flavor of the shamrock shake which is probably near impossible and I've got some learning to do.

With a little liquid inspiration - Anti-Hero in a can! - I experimented with Creme de Menthe and white chocolate.




I'm not a huge fan of mint but I do like Shamrock Shakes and didn't want to get too crazy with the Creme de Menthe, so I used white chocolate to balance it out. It worked, but because of my fear of too much mint the cupcakes could have used a little more.


I made your normal buttercream frosting, had some green sprinkles left over from Christmas and topped them with red candies to look the part.

I was on a cookie kick earlier that week so I tried to make cookies out of them as well. The green color is a little weird and of course this time I put a little too much Creme de Menthe in the batter, so eventually I'll find a happy medium. It all depends on your tastebuds.

One tip, ease up on the liquids with the sugar cookie recipe if you're adding Creme de Menthe, otherwise it gets really soupy and hard to deal with.


Green food can be kind of weird but it's fun to make and perfect for St. Patty's Day!

Sláinte!



No comments:

Post a Comment