Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Good morning, pumpkin!


Fall is my favorite time of year. The cool weather, the colors of the leaves changing and of course, pumpkin. Pumpkin is huge now. Everything comes in pumpkin and pumpkin scones from Starbucks were always my favorite. I've never ventured into the scone world but I had been on a baking hiatus and was itching to try something new. It surprisingly wasn't as difficult as I thought. The only difficult part is some of the ingredients you may not have on hand. Which isn't necessarily difficult but annoying. I got over it though. 

Most scone recipes call for molasses which you can easily find next to the pancake syrup at the grocery store. You'll also need pumpkin spice. I actually found a bottle of pumpkin spice in the baking section of the store and it smells wonderful. If you can't find it, an easy mix of cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger will do the trick. You'll still need pumpkin of course, which if you're like me you've stocked up while it's in season. Make sure it's canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie. You'll also need your basic flour, brown sugar and butter. Make sure your butter is cold! 


Not working with softened butter kind of freaked me out but just chop it up into small pieces and mix it into your flour and sugar mix, you want it to be crumbly but still completely mixed together. Mix in your pumpkin and other liquids separately and you'll form a dough. You'll want to knead it on a floured surface like you would any other bread and then you can take a pizza cutter to cut it into the normal triangle shape or however you'd like. Can't lie, I had some issues making triangles so I just scooped them up like cookies. 

While they're baking you can make the glaze which is super easy. All you need for the initial glaze is to whisk powdered sugar and milk together until it's thick. For the pumpkin, you'll still use powdered sugar but you'll add your canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix), pumpkin spice and milk to drizzle on top. I found it easier to make the white glaze in a wide enough dish so you can just dunk the scones in upside down when they're cool. Then take a spoon and drizzle the top with the pumpkin glaze. (Apologies for the lack of photos, I lost most of them when my phone had a heart attack)


They don't look like Starbucks scones but they definitely taste good! Enjoy for breakfast, after dinner or whenever you feel like a pumpkin treat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment