Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Where the Buffalo Roam

Now, I'm not a fan of buffalo, hot sauce, any of that stuff so I didn't try this recipe but it got some pretty good reviews. My boyfriend loves anything buffalo and I wanted to make a savory "cupcake" that he would like and while it's not really a cupcake, it's close enough and he devoured it. Point, me.

I'm still kind of nervous about making a savory cupcake like this with actual cake batter so I decided to go with biscuit dough. Not really a cupcake but I still made 'em square and easy to eat. It was trickier than I thought.

I didn't make the biscuits from scratch, just bought the dough in a tube and thought if I pulled them apart in a bowl, I could make a big ball of dough to form into squares. Not so easy because at that point the biscuits have already decided they want to be round. Needless to say, I made it work.


I then used my favorite kitchen tool ever next to the Kitchen Aid Mixer; The Ninja. I had some chicken tenders that I wanted to add to the dough but I didn't want just giant chunks so I chopped them up and doused them in buffalo sauce to add to the stubborn biscuit dough.



I highly suggest you invest in the Ninja. It comes with a smaller attachment but mine is still in a box somewhere from when I moved so the pitcher works for now, also great for margaritas. I'll show you later how awesome it was to make zucchini bread with.

Anyway, mixing the chicken and buffalo sauce was kinda difficult with the biscuit dough and it ended up a little crumbly. Surprisingly ended up working out giving a nice crunch to it. At least it was okay according to my boyfriend but he wouldn't say anything bad about my baking anyway :).

I crumbled the pieces and squished them to form to the size of my pan and dabbed a little hot sauce on top of each one before I put the into the oven.



Follow the dough instructions, it's usually 350-375 for 10-15 minutes. You be the judge on how soft or hard you want them.

For a "frosting," not really, I got an idea from my boyfriend's aunt to mix sour cream and ranch dressing. Done! Just whisk it together and spoon it on top or have it on the side for dipping. I had the idea to chop up some celery and fold it in or garnish with it but the audience I was working with isn't a fan of celery. You can always crumble blue cheese on top as well.


While it's not a cupcake, it's still pretty cute and ends up working perfectly for Sunday afternoon or Monday night football.

From this part of town, Go Bears and enjoy!





Follow It's Hip to Be Square on Twitter!

Like us on Facebook!



No comments:

Post a Comment