Thursday, December 19, 2013

Leave Biscotti to the Italians

Now I love biscotti and always wanted to try making it but I thought it would take forever. Biscotto actually means "twice baked" and that's exactly what you do. Im a fan of butterscotch and that's where my issue was.

To make them, you mix your ingredients and separate the dough into two loaves and bake them for twenty minutes.  I added a bag of butterscotch chips to mine and it may have been too much. I know, crazy talk right?



So far looking good right? Well, as you see below the butterscotch decided to ooze out and stick to the pan. I didn't want it to burn so I pulled it out of the oven and let it rest. Which, you're supposed to do that anyway so it's cool enough to slice into those familiar shapes .














When I pulled it out of the oven I thought it was salvageable. Nothing was burnt and it looked like what I thought it should. Then came the slicing. Let's just say it's not as easy as it looks to make those diamond shapes. Well, making the shapes wasn't the issue, it was the cookie holding onto that shape.









 I was excited because they started to look normal at this point. After slicing I put them back into the oven for another 15-20 minutes or so. The recipe said 10 minutes but they definitely weren't done by then.















At the end of the day, they were very good. Only two made it out looking like actual biscotti but I would definitely try making them again.


No comments:

Post a Comment