Monday, November 5, 2012

It Must Be Monday...

You know it's Monday when...

I have more baked goods than I know what to do with... And my apartment feels like the surface of the sun with the oven on for hours.


One of my favorite things my mom would bake when I was a kid was oatmeal scotchies. Whenever she cooked, whenever she baked, I thought it was her secret recipe and was always afraid to try it myself. After all, no one can make anything like mom can.

Soooo I decided to spin it. I had to make the originals but sticking with my square theme, I made them into bars. I realized they take a lot longer to bake when they're in a brownie pan but it is so worth it. And it doesn't feel like you're eating two or three with one bar :).



Another twist- Oatmeal toffee. Replace the butterscotch chip with heath bar toffee bits and it's a whole new ballgame. Again extra baking time with a brownie pan but patience is a virtue and it's totally worth the wait.


Another twist on an old favorite - the rice krispie treat. Really simple, not really baking but it's square! And not your average rice krispie treat. How about chocolate with white chocolate chips?


Yeeeessss ma'am.


Pairings - Today's baking partner is the usual Moscato which would actually go very well with the butterscotch. Even a bit with the rice krispie treats. While Moscato is sweet and crisp and may not sound too good with chocolate, the lightness of the white chocolate balances out the cocoa and makes a great pair.

Moscato not your thing? You can go with a Pinot Noir or a mild Merlot. Still, this is probably why I like it so much, a good moscato holds up well with milk chocolate.

Now, who's going to eat all of this?



Follow It's Hip to Be Square on Twitter!


Contact It's Hip to Be Square


No comments:

Post a Comment